Sunday, December 30, 2007

U Got The Look: NYE 2008


I still don’t have any plans for NYE. It might be a quiet, romantic dinner with my hubby. Or a raucous celebration with friends at a bar. Or I might just sit on the couch and blog my way into the new year. Whichever it is, here’s the makeup look I will be rocking.

I didn’t have a particular look I was going for. It really just started with Diane Brill’s Liquid Eye Liner in Lace Diamonds – and evolved from there. I didn’t expect to go so over-the-top. But once I started, I found it hard to stop…hence, my glittery glamtastic eyelids that rival the Times Square Ball in sparkle.

Once I finished piling it all on, I was afraid it was a little too Amanda Lepore for my liking. But it has since grown on me, and I hope you’ll agree that it looks quite pretty in pictures.

Step One - Face:
Apply Clinique Superfit Makeup (in Nutty) to entire face, using MAC 187 Duo Fibre Brush.

Step Two – Eyes:
Line the inner rims with Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Eye Pencil (in Black). Apply Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow (in Woodrose) from lash line to crease. Apply Tarte’s Lock & Roll Creaseless Eyeshadow Duo (in Slate) - just the powder side; first, roll it on – then blend with a shadow brush. Next, line upper lid with Prestige Liquid Eyeliner (in Black). Then load shadow brush MAC Eye Shadow (in Idol Eyes) and pat onto lid. Curl eyelashes (I used a curler by Maybelline) and coat upper lashes with Diorshow Mascara (in Black) and apply DuWop Lash Lacquer mascara (in Carbon Black) to bottom lashes. Line upper lids again – but this time, use Diane Brill Liquid Eye Liner (in Lace Diamonds). Finally, brush some of the Diane Brill Eye Liner on the tips of upper lashes – to give them a diamond-like sparkle.


(top photo - naked eye lined with Diane Brill Liquid Eye Liner in Lace Diamonds; bottom photo - finished eye, after step two)

Step Three – Cheeks:
Dot DuWop Blush Therapy (in Hug) on apples of cheeks, then blend with fingertips.

Step Four – Highlighting:
Dot Freeze 24/7 Freeze & Go down the bridge of the nose and on cheekbones, then gently tap with pad of finger until blended.

Step Five – Lips:
Finish off the look with a few swipes of MAC Lustreglass – I used Budding, but I think it’s been discontinued. Venetian is somewhat similar, but tad bit deeper – though still sheer.

That’s the recipe. I hope you had as much fun reading about the look as I had creating it! If you're looking for more NYE makeup ideas, my friend Marina at Makeup Loves Me has a bunch.

So with that, I’m going to conclude this post with the immortal words of my man, Prince. Every NYE, you’re bound to hear “1999” at least a couple times, so allow me to introduce you to another oldie, but goodie – a little ditty Prince recorded with Sheena Easton. Remember her? "Sugar Walls"? Okay, now I'm showing my age. Just watch the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment