Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recessionista's Fabuless Pick of the Week: Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Mascara


Last week, I received the following email from a reader, Tara:

"I was wondering if you have tried Maybelline's The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara? I did a search on your blog and didn't come up with anything. I ran out of mascara and was at the store last night. I went to grab a Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara, but something caught my eye. There was a big display of The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara by Maybelline. The packaging is very eye catching since it is yellow and black and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Plus, the color of the mascara is called "Glam Black," so how could I not try it when the word "Glam" is there? I put it on this morning and was amazed. The brush is "colossal" but my lashes are long and full and no clumps! Geez, sorry to ramble, but I'm just so excited to find a mascara that works wonders for only $6.99! If you haven't try it, you should!!"

Now, I wasn't sure whether the aforementioned email was an actual reader review, or a veiled PR pitch…so I decided to purchase for myself, review the mascara and draw my own conclusions.

Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Mascara promises:

* 9X the volume, instantly
* No clumps
* Washable

Does it deliver? You betcha…but in a way you wouldn't expect. The brush is tame, in contrast to Cover Girl Lash Blast's big fatty wand. Yet it manages to catch every last lash and coat it in inky blackness. Layer after layer, I was amazed at how I couldn't coax the formula to clump. Colossal Volum' Express volumizes alright…just don't count on nine times your typical thickness. But while your lashes may lack a little in the lushness department, the formula lengthens like you wouldn't believe...this mascara takes even the most Lilliputian lashes to a whole nuther level. Plus, it washes off with minimal elbow grease.


Check me out wearing Colossal Volum' Express in Glam Black (please excuse the sloppy application).

Check back this time next week, when Spoiled Pretty brings you a new makeup bag must-have that's easy on your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment