Monday, May 26, 2008

Is Allure Magazine Losing Its Allure?


As I was straightening up my apartment today (fine way to spend a holiday – I know), I was rummaging through my collection of magazines…trying to decide which ones were past their prime and needed to go in the trash. That’s when I noticed the similarities between the May and June 2008 covers of Allure Magazine.

In reality, Hilary Duff and Jessica Alba look nothing alike. But thanks to their mirror poses, side-swept bangs, and rose-tinted lips, the two starlets are doppelgangers. And if you look back to March’s issue, you’ll notice that Kate Beckinsale’s cover shot is almost identical.

Allure is one of my favorite mags. And I recognize that options are somewhat limited when you’re taking headshots. But c’mon. What I love most about beauty is the limitless possibilities…it’s transformative power. If you peruse the pages of Allure, you’ll see some stunning hair and makeup – especially in the editorials. But then, the lackluster covers looks stand in complete opposition.

It’s true you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. But in the world of magazines, the cover can have a huge impact on newsstand sales. And, in my opinion, magazine editors really need to wake up, smell the Chanel No. 5, and start giving us diverse, more alluring covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment