Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sweet, But Tarte

I’m a marketing gal, so I can understand the appeal of Tarte Lipgloss. Each dual-ended gloss has one sheer side, one shimmery – the duo can be snapped apart so you can customize your ideal gloss pairing. And with adorable names like Romeo & Juliet, Cliff & Clair, and Baby & Johnny – who could resist?

But while the packaging is cute and clever, the truth is that Tarte Lipgloss is somewhat lacking in the lipgloss department. I have to admit that the non-tacky formula is refreshing and the color pairings are nice...unfortunately, the gloss falls short in many key areas.

First, the color payout is rather disappointing. If you’re looking for a very sheer gloss, then maybe this works for you. But I find that I need to coat my lips in a layer of sheer lip pencil, like Stila Glaze Lip Liner to get the color I originally thought came in the Tarte Lipgloss tube. Secondly, the gloss doesn’t last long; when I wear it, I constantly find myself having to re-apply. At first, I assumed this was a result of its non-sticky texture – but I have since purchased similar formulas (e.g. - Fresh Lip Shine) with superior staying power. Finally, if you’re going to call your product a gloss, then it should actually be glossy, right? Tarte Lipgloss is more creamy than glossy.

So if you’re looking for a sheer creamy balm, then this “gloss” is perfect for you. But for my money, I’d rather the manufacturer put a little more thought into the product and spent less time on the packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment