Sunday, August 23, 2009

A More Perfect Union: Gabrielle Graces Essence Magazine's September Cover

You know how they say magazines sell more issues based on which celeb is on the cover? Well, even though I know it's true, I never paid a cover much mind, to be honest. I'm a magazine nut - and if the pages are filled with beauty, fashion and star style, I'm buying it - regardless of who is on the front.

But the September 2009 issue of Essence is a rare exception. As soon as I spotted Gabrielle Union, sporting an espresso bob with side-swept bangs for her 5th Essence cover, I snatched the mag off the shelf and made a beeline for the register.

"She was mad for her new look with the sexy bangs and shoulder-length cut," recalls Beauty and Cover Director Mikki Taylor, who led the makeover team in creating this transformation.

When I brought the issue home, I showed Mr. Spoiled Pretty. "Isn't her hair to-die, Graham?" I asked. To which he replied, "Um...isn't that how you usually wear your hair when it's down?" Well, yeah...I am pretty handy with the flat iron and this is the look I'm going for. But Gabrielle's do is the gold standard, and my limited styling prowess has only achieved bronze status - at best.

But you best believe I'm going to tack this photo up and practice, practice, practice to perfect the look. Too bad there aren't any products to help replicate Gabrielle's flawless cocoa complexion and girl next door dimples.

The September 2009 issue of Essence is on newsstands now.

No comments:

Post a Comment