Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Urban Decay Summer 2011 Collection

A few weeks ago, Urban Decay sent me their Summer 2011 Collection to test and review. As a huge fan of Urban Decay (they're one of my all time favorite brands - I love their rock and roll vibe and I’m addicted to their 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencils), I always have high expectations for new products. And this collection does not disappoint.

Usually when I receive an entire collection to review, I'll choose a few of the best products and feature them here. This collection, which is comprised of some familiar faces and some new makeup bag staples, has so many choice products that I'm going to review the whole she-bang.

Okay, time to break it down...
The Rollergirl Nail Kit includes six mini bottles of summer's IT shades: Fame (shimmery beige), Superfreak (gold glitter), Xanadu (Purple Glitter), Miss T (pearly fuchsia), Woodstock (hot pink) and Love Train (iridescent white). Something to note about these lilliputian lacquers is that each brush has 220 strands, just like a standard polish brush - so it delivers the same flawless finish as a bigger bottle. I painted a pedicure using Woodstock a two weeks ago and it's still holding on and looking hot.


Even if you own just about every Urban Decay product that exists - like me - here's a reason you should still add the Rollergirl Eyeshadow Palette to your shopping list: one of the shadow shades, Verve (pale champagne with oyster shimmer), is exclusive to this set. And don't let the name fool you. There's more to this kit than just eyeshadows. You also get a full-sized 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Whiskey (dark brown) and a mini Crush Lip Junkie Lipgloss (sheer bright hot pink with a vanilla mint flava).

Urban Defense Tinted Moisturizers are great for this time of year when a face of foundation is just too much. The formula is buildable and breathable for comfortable wear. And it' got SPF 20 to protect your baby face from the summer sun.

I've been wearing Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion for years and while I wouldn't change the formula for anything, the packaging left much to be desired. You could never seem to get all of the product out of the I Dream Of Genie-esque tube, and makeup addicts everywhere were pissed. Some of them even took to YouTube, demonstrating how to saw the shit open to extract every drop. Well, Urban Decay has responded in a BIG way. They've re-packaged the product in a squeezable tube - with 10% more product than before. If you wear eyeshadow, Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion is a must. When used as a base, your eyeshadow will not move or crease for 24 hours. I kid you not. And what's more - the pigment of your shadow appears truer and more vibrant...not some washed out version of what you see in the shadow pan. It's available in 4 shades: Original (invisible), Eden (tawny matte finish), Greed (glimmering gold) and Sin (champagne shimmer). If you buy anything in this post, this should be it.


Urban Decay is not kidding when they describe Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara's formula as mermaid worthy. I wear Cannonball during my infant son's weekly swim lessons and it does not budge. Well, not until I remove it with Urban Decay's Meltdown Makeup Remover.

Even though I'm brown, I still like to up the ante in the summertime. What I love about Baked Face and Body Bronzers is that they are the antithesis of the flat, orangey bronzers that I loathe. The three shades deliver a gorgeous sunkissed glow that actually looks like it may have come from, well, the sun. I'm going to Miami in a few days and I couldn't decided which one should come with. In the end, I opted for Gilded (smoldering bronze shimmer). Besides being a gorgeous shade, I also figured that it could pull double duty as an eyeshadow. Genius consideration, right?

Lip Love Honey-Infused Lip Therapy gives lips a sheer/stained effect. The conditioning formula nourishes your pout, sans stickiness. Available in five shades (Stung, a sheer blackberry, is the prettiest IMO), the gloss smells and tastes like honey. Problem is I don't like honey - the smell or the taste of it. But if you don't have honey hangups, these are some gorgeous glosses to add to your collection.


Urban Decay is celebrating 15 years in the beauty biz with the Quinceanera Makeup Bag. This baby is already packed in suitcase for Miami. It's the perfect size for a product packrat like me. Roomy enough so that I can travel with enough stock, but not so cavernous that I'm tempted to fill it up with everything I own. LOVE!

Finally, there's the Urban Bride Kit. Urban Decay says, "If you're looking for something new to give your favorite bride, lavish her with this decadent gift-ready box of travel-sized products designed to keep her looking exquisite all day (and night, wink wink)." But, honestly, you don't need to be a bride-to-be to enjoy this set. I've been a Mrs. for 4 years and I'm crushing on this kit. It contains:
• Razor Sharp Ultra-Definition Finishing Powder to diffuse lines for a flawless airbrushed look.
• Urban Decay’s best-selling original formula Eyeshadow Primer Potion (full-sized) and Supercurl Curling Mascara to keep her eyes looking fresh.
• Lip Junkie Lipgloss in Midnight Cowboy to give bare and lightly colored lips a sensual, come-hither shine or electrify darker lipcolor with more texture.
• All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray to ensure her look stays put for 16 incredible hours.
• Marshmallow Sparkling Lickable Body Powder to keep the party going long after the guests have left.

I was so impressed with All Nighter that I bought Deslick (their other makeup setting spray that also addresses oil overload) yesterday at Sephora.

So there you have it. Which products are going on your wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment