Monday, May 4, 2009

DO Hold Your Breath: Prada Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger


I am hopelessly devoted to Prada Infusion d'Iris. In 2007, when I gifted Mama Spoiled Pretty with a bottle for Christmas, I was seduced by its charm, and I've been wearing it ever since. In fact, I carry a full-sized bottle in my handbag. Yeah, I'm crazy like that. So when I recently learned that Prada would be releasing a new incarnation of the fragrance, Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger, I was beside myself with excitement.

Well, this past Saturday on a trip to Bloomingdale's, I stopped by the fragrance counter to see if the perfume was worth the wait. I misted Prada Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger on a tester card, haphazardly catching a few of my fingers in the spray. And when I caught a whiff, I immediately cursed my bad aim.

I was expecting something modern and light, like my beloved Infusion d'Iris. Instead, I found the perfume to be an offense to my nostrils. I'm no fragrance expert, so the best way I can characterize the scent is cloying and grandmothery. It's so strong that it would be the last perfume I'd think to spritz on in the warm summer months that are right around the bend. And while I recognize that fragrance is a very personal thing, I can't think of one person I know who would willingly wear this perfume.

Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger eau de parfum is available in three sizes: 1.7 oz ($74), 3.4 oz ($100), and 6.75 oz ($135). The line also includes a 8.5 oz Hydrating Body Lotion ($52) and 33.8 oz Perfumed Bath and Shower Gel ($50). But I personally wouldn't buy any of these products, even if Prada was having a BOGO promotion.

So I'm just going to stick with my Infusion d'Iris. And if the Orange Blossom mood strikes me, I'll pick up this perfume by Jo Malone.

No comments:

Post a Comment