Sunday, June 14, 2009

Who Is Jenn Falik?


If there was a Jeopardy-style game show with beauty categories, I’m pretty confident that I could go on a Ken Jennings-esque streak. But there’s one gal who might give me a run for my money.

Beauty savant Jenn Falik is the go-to resource for the media when it comes to learning the latest tips, trends and must-haves. From teaching her kindergarten classmates the merits of Bonne Bell Lip Balm, to spending her free time in college helping friend (and friends of friends) put together the perfect first date outfit, Jenn Falik has been a go-to for style advice pretty much since she started talking.

After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania and taking a job on Wall Street, Jenn quickly realized that her talents were much better spent advising on clothing and makeup than consulting on credit card marketing. So she embarked on a career in fashion and beauty, as a publicist. In working with some of the most prestigious brands in the world, Jenn hones her skills at predicting and interpreting trends. It is a combination of her insider circle, her ability to dole out practical advice and her natural instinct to share everything she learns with everyone she knows, which led Jenn to become a style and beauty expert.

If you’re a product junkie who owns a television, you’ve likely seen Jenn sharing her tips on The View, The Today Show, The Rachael Ray Show, E! News and The Tyra Banks Show.

I recently had an opportunity to pick Jenn’s beauty-filled brain…and the girl knows her stuff. So if your beauty routine's in jeopardy (baby), read on…

SP: When did you first fall in love with beauty?
JF:
When I started working in Beauty PR about 8 years ago. I always liked buying new products and playing around with makeup, but I think it became a passion (borderline obsession) once I started really learning all that goes on behind the scenes in the beauty industry, and seeing what significant differences the right beauty routine can make in a woman’s self esteem.

SP: What is your beauty philosophy?
JF: Look at your beauty routine as an extension of your personality - and stock your makeup bag with products that you love. It isn’t about the trend of the moment, it is about your interpretation of the trend of the moment that fits with your style and as such, every product you own becomes a timeless beauty staple.

SP: Any celebrity girl crushes, in terms of beauty?
JF:
Kate Hudson. I love her natural California girl beauty- the beachy hair, the glowing skin.

SP: What are the five products that you can't live without right now?
JF:
Stila Kitten Eyeshadow: I have been using every single day since I was in high school and don’t plan on stopping- ever.

Pond’s Clean Sweep Original Clean Wet Cleansing Towelettes
: They remove every ounce of makeup - even waterproof mascara. Love waking up and not seeing makeup smeared all over my pillow!

Lipstick Queen Shine Red Sinner Gloss: Just looking at that giant tub of delicious cherry colored gloss makes me smile. It is the ultimate lip indulgence for a true beauty junkie.

Lancome PowerBoost Lash Primer: This is the perfect first step to full lashes. People always ask me if I have false lashes on- I don’t. It is a combo of this topped off with Stila MAJOR Major lash. I am not coordinated enough to put lashes on!

Priori Advanced AHA Hand & Body Revitalizing Lotion
: A great daily moisturizer for this time of year to refresh and brighten skin for short summer dresses and beach days.

SP: What’s the best beauty tip/secret you’ve ever heard?
JF: I once read a tip from a celebrity makeup artist about always applying your bronzer in the shape of a 3 on each side of your face. So, you hit your forehead, cheeks and jawline evenly for a super natural looking all-over glow.

SP: What was your most embarrassing beauty moment?
JF: There were a few really bad perms in middle school, and on more than one occasion in the early 90’s I overdid the Sun In. All of my beauty mistakes have been hair-related, come to think of it. Oh, wait - I did go through a phase where I was obsessed with dewy skin and used to put way too much shimmer balm on every single day. Now I look at photos and realize I actually looked really sweaty, not gorgeously glow-ey.

SP: Which beauty trend(s) do you wish would die?
JF:
Sparkly body lotion - the kind with glitter in it. Come to think of it - anything with glitter in it.

SP: What products are must-haves for summer?
JF:
MISSION Skincare Fast-Drying Sunscreen SPF 30+ Spray is perfect for me because it is effortless, and I can get lazy on hot summer days. The spray is light and gives you full coverage, and it isn’t sticky at all. Plus, even when I get kinda sweaty, this stays on.

HissyFit Saving Face SPF 50. This new brand from Australia boasts an amazing tinted moisturizer with high SPF and anti-aging benefits. It is a little thicker than my usually tinted moisturizer, but I feel like that is what gives it such staying power.

DDF Pedi Cream has become part of my nightly beauty ritual- I slather it on before bed and throw on socks in an effort to have somewhat smooth heels for summer sandals.

Essie Polish in Lovie Dovie
is going to be by go-to shade this summer because it goes seamlessly from the beach to a black tie wedding- just bright enough to be exciting, but not too bright so as to be distracting.

June Jacobs After Sun Hydrator is the perfect post-sun product, and even though I don’t lay out, I use it after being outside too long at the never ending series of outdoor summer weddings I seem to be attending. It refreshes my skin, hydrates and, best part, helps prolong the life of your tan.

GO SMiLE Touch Ups
are my secret weapon against pigging out this summer. I have somewhat of an insatiable appetite, and that is a killer when it comes to swimsuit season. So, after eating, I use one of these and my mouth feels so clean and minty, I have no interest in going back for seconds. Plus, it polishes my teeth so they make my itty-bitty hint of bronze look that much more tawny.

SP: If you could only patronize one beauty brand for life, which would it be?
JF:
Stila. I love everything about it. The products, the packaging, everything. I always say if I was re-incarnated as a makeup brand, I would be Stila. My daily routine would be Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF15, Convertible Color in Poppy, Sun SPF15 bronzer, 24K Smudge Pot, Kitten Eyeshadow and MAJOR Major lash mascara. Top it off with a touch of the Hair Refresher in Crème Bouquet for both style and scent. Perfectly pretty.

For more beauty words of wisdom, be sure to visit Jenn's blog and check out her media clips!

No comments:

Post a Comment